Skip to main content

More Than Just Language

With solid research to support its effectiveness, the three main goals of immersion education are for students to:

  1. Gain mastery of the Colorado Academic Standards for each grade level.

  2. To develop reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills in English and Spanish.

  3. Acquire a knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of other world cultures and people.

Classroom Model

One classroom in grades 1-5 provides a Spanish language immersion environment taught by a highly qualified bilingual teacher.

  • The model for 1st and 2nd Grade includes approximately 85% of daily instruction provided in Spanish. The remaining 15% includes the time spent in English writing and special’s classes.

  • The model for 3rd Grade includes approximately 70% of daily instruction provided in Spanish. The remaining 30% includes the time spent in English reading and writing and special’s classes.

  • The model for 4th and 5th Grade includes approximately 40% of daily instruction provided in Spanish to include math, literacy, and science.

All students receive access to the same guaranteed and viable curriculum that is based on Colorado State Content Standards.

Program Policies

Incoming First Grade

  • Current Ranch Creek Kindergarten Students

    • Must meet mid-year Kindergarten English Language Arts and Math benchmarks

    • Pass Language Screener conducted by Ranch Creek speech pathologist

    • Kindergarten teacher recommendation required

  • Students who meet the listed requirements for admission to the immersion program will participate in a lottery for placement.

  • New Ranch Creek First Grade Students

    • Students must meet beginning of the year math and English reading benchmark expectations for the grade they are entering.

    • Interview with immersion teacher to assess interest and enthusiasm for program.

Second Grade

Students must meet beginning of the Year 2nd grade math and reading benchmark expectations to be accepted into the program.

  • First Grade teacher recommendation

  • Interview with immersion teacher to assess language learning aptitude and interest

3rd – 5th Grade

At this level, students are no longer taught Spanish; they are taught in Spanish. Therefore, they must enter with solid Spanish language skills.
All incoming students must meet grade level Spanish expectations. Differentiated instruction of Spanish is not provided.

  • Students must meet beginning of the year math and English reading benchmark expectations for the grade they are entering.

  • Students must meet beginning of the year Spanish benchmark expectations for the grade they are entering.

  • Interview with immersion teacher to assess interest and enthusiasm for program.

  • Process

    • Immersion teachers will assess new applicants on workdays prior to the beginning of the school year.

    • Students waiting to be admitted into the program shall be enrolled in an English classroom while awaiting results of testing.

Sibling Policy: Siblings of current or previous immersion students who meet ALL admission requirements will be placed automatically in the program.